Jazz Dance - Recreation - Level 1
Time & Location
About The Event
No Previous Experience Necessary!
Jazz dance combines techniques of classical ballet and modern dance with the current forms of popular dance. Jazz also has its own movement vocabulary ranging from the isolation of certain body parts to the movement of the entire body with the accents of musical rhythms. Jazz dance can take on many different characteristics and styles, including Street Jazz, Percussive, Broadway, Contemporary and Lyrical. Jazz classes can be patterned in any of these styles or a combination of them. Emphasis is on the importance of energy, rhythmical accuracy, and style.
This is an Introductory Jazz Class that combines stretching, aerobic exercise, strength, and upbeat movement to create fun, exciting routines. This lively class works to improve technique, stamina, and flexibility. Emphasis on Musical Theatre vocabulary.
This class will teach the basic jazz dance skills neccessary for musical theatre auditions.
The program runs all year, from September to June, and culminates in a final Showcase Performance, with costumes and an audience!
There will be an open house offered to families at the completion of each term.
Class Minimum 6, Maximum 12
Instructor: Brady VanVaerenbergh
Wednesdays, 6:15 PM to 7:30 PM
- Fall Term: September 4 to December 11 (Open House - December 11)
- Winter Term: January 8 to March 11 (Open House - March 11)
- Spring Term: March 18 to June 3 (Open House - June 3)
Final Recital (June Showcase) - TBA
Tuition: $45 per month/$400 per year
10% discount for second sibling registration
10% discount for second dance class
15% discount for third dance class
$25 annual registration fee will be added to your registration for the year.
Yellow Door Theatre Project Offers:
- An intimate classroom environment
- A safe, clean facility equipped with a dance floor, stage area, sound system and props
- Qualified professional instructors
- End of term Open House
- Dress Rehearsal and Final Showcase
- A fun-filled experience!
- Introduction to ensemble dance work
- Dance vocabulary and dance step memorization
- Understanding theatre areas, conventions and spacial awareness
- Develop focus and listening skills
- Movement skills related to musical theatre
- Boys and Girls - comfortable clothing that allows for movement (this includes sweat pants, leggings, shorts, and T-Shirts/long or short sleeved tops). No jeans, please.
- Shoes - The best shoe to choose for classes is a leather jazz oxford. These may also be worn during performance. Each class member is responsible for purchasing and labeling their own rehearsal footwear.
- Hair - Long hair to be worn back and off the face (bring an elastic!).
- Any time prior to the beginning of classes you may receive a full refund of fees. Once the classes have started you will receive a 50% refund of the fees you have paid.
- Registration Fees are non-refundable after October 1st.
- All cancellations must be done in writing and delivered in person, by mail, or email.