2020-21 Fall Performance Company Program
Yellow Door Theatre Project is auditioning for SINGERS, ACTORS and DANCERS between the ages of 10-18 to become participants in a new Two-Year Fall Performance Company Program. This program will encompass a two-year development process that will culminate in a Livestream/In-Theatre Concert Event on December 11th, 2020 at the FirstOntario Performing Arts Centre and a Livestream/In-Theatre full production in December, 2021. Dates and venue TBA.
What You Should Know
At Yellow Door, we welcome all levels of experience, but we’d like you to prepare for your audition as you would for a professional audition or interview. Please see our audition guidelines below and do your very best to be prepared.
Auditions for our 2020 – 2021 season will be done through recorded video submissions. Deadline for submission of your audition video is midnight, August 24th, 2020.
Zoom Call-backs (Interviews) will be scheduled for the afternoon of Saturday, August 29th, 2020 with the Artistic Director, Playwright and Composer. Details TBA.
Fourteen cast members will be selected for the 2020-2021 Fall Performance Company, and the cast will be announced by September 5th, 2020.
Rehearsals will be scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays, September 12 thru December 6th, between 1:00 to 4:00 PM. These will be combined online/In-Studio rehearsals. Details TBA.
ALL participants need to be prepared to make a two-year commitment.
What Are We Creating?
This year, we are excited to be presenting a NEW adaptation of “Hansel” & Gretel”. This project is supported by a grant from Niagara Investment in Culture and the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, which will provide funding assistance to offset the cost of commissioning playwright Lezlie Wade and Composer Scott Christian.
When Hansel and Gretel get sent to a wilderness camp in an isolated part of Northern Ontario they learn that survival requires ingenuity, strength of character and the ability to make friends. In the darkest part of the Boreal forest, things are not what they seem.
For your video audition — please send either a wetransfer OR a YouTube video link that includes all required audition elements.
In your wetransfer video, ensure you:
Save the video as an MP4 or MPEG4 file and then upload it and send it via wetransfer. Go to http://wetransfer.com and follow the prompts.
In your YouTube video, ensure you:
1. Sing a song preferably from Musical Theatre repertoire with a taped background recording/track. The background recording should not include any vocals.
Ages 10-12: Please prepare one musical selection. 2 1/2 Minutes in length (maximum).
Ages 13 and Up: Please prepare two contrasting Musical Theatre Selections. 7 Minutes in total length (maximum).
2. Ages 10-12 and Ages 13 and Up - Record yourself performing a poem or monologue. The poem or monologue must be memorized. 2 to 2 1/2 Minutes in length (maximum).
3. You will ALSO be sent a copy of one or two monologues written by the playwright, Lezlie Wade. These monologues are IN ADDITION to the memorized poem or monologue of your choice. Please ALSO record a READING of ONE of these monologues. This monologue DOES NOT need to be memorized and will be available by contacting Andorlie Hillstrom at firstname.lastname@example.org after August 20th.
4. Copy the links to your song performance and your poem or monologue performance (one memorized monologue of your choosing from existing play repertoire and one reading of a monologue provided by Lezlie Wade) and paste them into a document with your name, age, e-mail address and phone number.
5. Send a resume of your music and theatre experiences, a photo (head shot preferred) and the page with your performance links and contact information to email@example.com. Please put your name and “YDTP Audition” into the subject line. If you have any questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 289-969-4589.
How to Create an Unlisted YouTube Video
1. Please go to YouTube and create account for yourself.
2. Upload your audition videos to your channel and select UNLISTED as the privacy setting.
What is an unlisted video?
An unlisted video is a different type of private video. Unlisted means that only people who know the link to the video can view it. An unlisted video will not appear in any of YouTube’s public spaces, like your channel, search results, or the homepage. You can choose to make changes to the privacy settings of any of your videos at any time.
How do I create an unlisted video?
1. Sign-in to your YouTube account.
2. Click on the Upload button at the top right of the page.
3. Before you select the file to upload, you can choose a privacy setting from the drop down menu below the big arrow. Choose Unlisted.
4. Then click the big arrow to browse on your computer for the video file. Click Upload.
How do I change the settings of a video once it is uploaded?
1. Sign-in to your YouTube account.
2. Select the video you want to change.
3. In the edit bar directly under the video, click in the Video Manager on the right.
4. Choose the video you want to edit and click the Edit button below the thumbnail.
5. Scroll down to the Basic Info tab and find the Privacy section on the right.
6. You’ll see the option to make the video Public, Unlisted, or Private.
7. Choose Unlisted. Make sure to click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
How do I share an unlisted video?
To share an unlisted video, just copy the URL of the video and share it with the people who you would like to have access to it, and they will be able to see it.
Who can access my video?
Only the people who you share your unlisted video’s URL have access to the video. That said, if one of your contacts then shares the unlisted video URL on a blog or public website, or with the people they know, the video will be accessible to those people (and the people who they choose to share it with) as well. It’s therefore important to communicate to your contacts that you wish to maintain limited access to your unlisted video and that you only share the video with people you trust.
Your YouTube account must be in good standing to have access to create unlisted videos. If you don’t see the option to make your video unlisted in your account settings, it could be that your YouTube Account is not in good standing and has a Terms of Service violation or a strike for copyright infringement. Check your account standing on the settings page.
Don’t know what to sing?
There is a TON of information to be found on the web! Have a look around!
AND… for a treasure trove of accompaniment tracks and audition ideas, go to:
Free Accompaniment Tracks Listing Page 🎹 www.marionabbott.com/accompaniment-tracks
For more help with your audition, Yellow Door Theatre Project has an upcoming workshop focused on recording professional quality auditions:
HOW TO RECORD AN AUDITION - TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL (Ages 10 to 16)
One-Week Session | August 17 -21
Get ready for THAT BIG AUDITION! During this intensive one-week program, join theatre professionals, Kerry Ann Doherty (Artistic Director theatreSix) and Thom Marriott (Stratford/Shaw actor & General Manager of theatreSix) as you explore the best way to capture your audition on film. With theatre companies and training programs asking for self tapes more and more it’s becoming an essential part of auditioning and recording online for the theatre. But how do you show off your talent on a small screen? As it’s different for everyone this workshop will help the performer find out what’s best for them.
Class Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Ages/Times: Ages 10 to 16; 11:00 to 12:00 pm
Class Starts: August 17/2020
Class Ends: August 21/2020
Instructor(s): Kerry Ann Doherty, Thom Marriott
Kerry Ann Doherty - ARTISTIC DIRECTOR/ACTOR
A professional theatre creator for over 25 years, Kerry Ann has performed and directed across Canada and in the UK. Specializing in Physical Theatre, Shakespeare, Musicals and Collaboration, Kerry Ann has directed or assisted with Carousel Players (The Incredible Speediness of Jamie Cavanaugh), Studio 180 (OSLO), Queens Theatre Hornchurch (Priscilla Queen of the Desert), Goldsmiths University (the new musical One More Time) and University of Essex (Tenderloin, Like a Memory Lost, Asking For It). She is the Founding Artist Director of Little Lion Theatre in London, UK and the Founder and current Artistic Director of theatreSix where she recently directed the Dora nominated Grounded. She holds a BFA with a major in Drama and minor in Dance from the University of Calgary and a MFA in Directing from East 15 (University of Essex).
Thom Marriott - GENERAL MANAGER/ACTOR
Thom Marriott has appeared on stages across Canada and around the world for over 20 years. He spent 9 seasons with the Shaw Festival, 8 seasons with the Stratford Festival and 3 seasons with Drayton Entertainment: Most recently, Thom played Daddy Warbucks in Drayton Entertainment’s production of Annie.
Other selected performances include Mrs. Warren’s Profession, Misalliance, A Doctor’s Dilemma, Born Yesterday, and Wonderful Town (Shaw); Bottom in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, York in Henry VI, Duke Vincentio in Measure for Measure, Toby Belch in Twelfth Night, Gower in Pericles. (Stratford) Chariots of Fire (Grand), The Philadelphia Story (Calgary), A Streetcar Named Desire (Grand), Saint Joan (Chicago Shakespeare Theater), A Christmas Carol (Citadel). Television credits include Star Trek: Discovery, Salvation (CBS), Impulse (NBC/Universal), The Good Witch (Hallmark), Designated Survivor (Netflix), Murdoch Mysteries, Republic of Doyle (CBC), and Suits (USA).
To register for this workshop, go to our online Parent Portal at https://dancestudio-pro.com/online/yellowdoortheatre
Please contact Andorlie Hillstrom if you have any questions.